Thursday, April 3, 2008

We're off to see the warriors, the wonderful warriors of Xi'an

Tom and I are departing for Xi'an in about two hours. We bought tickets at the bus station two days ago which in itself is a triumph of our developing language skills. Furthermore we discovered that the journey will last either 7 or 12 hours and the bus may or may not be a sleeper. This mystery simply adds to the excitement of my first proper attempt at 'going travelling' as it were. Tom was told by a number of lanky haired gappers, when he spent the Spring festival in Beijing, that Xi'an was 'awesome' and 'mind-blowing'. As you can imagine, with such cliched descriptions of our destination in mind, our expectations can only be high.

Not much has happened this week so I thought I'd take up one of these posts lamenting about all of the things I miss from Blighty. I feel I can do this today as I am in a good mood so it will not be overly upsetting.

1. I miss bread. More specifically I miss Simmons' granary sandwich loaf (I am now salivating). The bread here is a) always white and b) contains a lot of sugar. This was a bit of a shock the first time I tried to mop up some sauce at dinner. It tasted like gravy on Brioche (something my father would love)
2. I miss people ignoring me in the streets. I'm sure it is born out of a desire to be friendly but the constant hellos do wear me down. Especially when they are spoken behind my back and followed by a torrent of guffaws.
3. I miss my friends and family (Aaaaaaaahhhhhh). This is most apparent when waking from a dream about home (which has happened on a few occasions) and the shock of realising I am 8000 miles away is really quite strong.
4. I miss traffic regulations.

The fact that I can't think of much more is probably a good sign.

Anywho, in a few days you will have an über-post on Xi'an accompanied by some new pictures on facebook.

No comments: