Sunday, June 1, 2008

Damn, She Found Me!

I'm in Beijing, and so is my Mum. I arrived from Zhengzhou on Monday with Tom and she came on Wednesday. Tom and I thought we would spend a little time here before he returned to Blighty and Mum thought it would be a good idea to try and embarrass me on a more global scale. We took the express train from Zhengzhou, which was pretty cool. It was all very civilized; fast, quite, cool and comfortable. The old man who repeatedly let his granddaughter piss in between the rows of seats spoiled it a little, but for a Chinese train journey it was remarkably painless. We have been staying at the hostel which Tom stayed at when he was here for Spring Festival. It's basically like a hotel but with more young travellers drinking beer so it is an awesome change from hanging around with middle aged Chinese guys drinking Baijiu. So far I have been out with four Icelanders, two Germans and three Americans.

Mum and I have been to say most of the sights in the city and we are going to the Great Wall at Mutianyu tomorrow. It's all pretty similar to the other places of interest I have visited in China but on a larger scale. The Summer Palace was very impressive, especially the fifty metre man- made hill complete with temple. Also we walked around the National Theatre (the big shiny egg) which was very cool. It is surrounded by an expansive moat with an infinity edge on the inside which creates a very interesting image. Unfortunately they are trying to refurbish everything in the city (I imagine for the Olympics) so everything is at it's most shiny and fake looking. You have to make quite an effort to go and find some authentic Hutongs. The vendors are as one would expect, particularly aggressive. One basically gave Mum a Chinese burn when we were trying to walk away from a negotiation for a silk scarf.

I am leaving for Oz on Tuesday which I looking forward to immensely for two main reasons. The first is that I will be able to meet Aunty Helen and all my family that I have either never seen or only seen once. Secondly, the weather. I am told that the skies are incredibly blue and that it is pretty cool, so it will be a nice change from stuffy China. I am a little worried about what Mum is going to do once I've gone, but the hostel have very helpful staff with excellent English so she should be fine.

Anyway, must go and find a tea house that is not a massive rip off. It may be a little difficult.

No comments: