Monday, March 3, 2008

Would like to teach

The waiting continues, I can do little else until I have got a certificate which I need to get another certificate which I need to get an invitation letter which I need to get the right kind of visa. Fortunately I do not really need to be present for these things so I now have the time to help out some of the students, even if I don't get paid.

I have therefore been working with one boy who is in grade 2 (which I think is the same as lower sixth but there seems to be a larger age range) who wants to study in the US. The other day he had a chance to go to another school to do some interviews with some representatives from American and Australian universities each with plenipotentiary powers. So I asked some typical interview questions and tried to advise him on what kind of language to use that would allow him to come across as confident but not arrogant. I have yet to hear how it went.

I have also been helping another son of a friend of Ms Shi who is taking a special exam for the Beijing Foreign Language University. I have been paid for this on occasion (and taken to lunch), which is cool. On the money front, by the way, I am only half way through my 200 pounds worth of Yuan so the lack of wages is not a bother for the moment. Anyway he and his father took me on a bit of a tour today and we went to the crazy, modern new Eastern District, which my father and I puzzled over on Google Earth before my departure. We then had Chinese hot pot, which is like a Fondue just with water, in a restaurant who's toilets have surpassed those of the hospital in their abject filth.

I have also had another chance to have a little lesson, this time with a Grade 2 class. This was a return favour for Ricky (I wish I could remember Chinese names instead of their acquired English ones) who took me into the city to by some shoes (which can be seen on Facebook in all their glory [I love brackets]) and to show me where the best bike shops are. This was in fact a huge favour as I am now certain I will be able to get a suitable ride for my tour in Pakistan. The lesson was more of a question and answer session, which went a lot better than my garbled attempt with Mr Yang's class. I now have loads of lesson ideas which I have recorded in great detail in all of my spare time.

The unexpected fruit of my boredom is the joyous discovery of 'Chinglish'. This is the use of bizarre English phrases on shop signs and adverts. Here are the best so far:
. [On my bed spread] - 'All I love is just beautiful...Your charm also bewitches me'
. [On my loo roll] - 'This beauty in full bloom scents the air and deserves lots of praise for its sweet and white
. [On a billboard advertising new apartments] - 'Champions of the elite living memory'
. [As above] - 'The centre enjoys, surmount and enjoy'
. [As above] - 'The garden in the sky is a them of all noble life'

I know - they're beautiful.

No comments: